It’s official now from Facebook, that they are collecting phone call records from your phone (if you are on Android). Here is the link. https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/03/fact-check-your-call-and-sms-history/
Oh and Iphone users are not effected by this new.
So if you are using android phone, and have used Facebook app (chances are that you have), there are chances, that the data being shared by your cellular company, would be shared by Facebook. Who is the mostly called number, who is the longest called number, so on and so forth.
The best bet to find out is to login to your Facebook, and grab your Data.
- Goto Settings followed by download your data.
- Enter your password and request all your data.
- Facebook will email you once your data is ready.
- Download that data and then inspect it using Zip / text files
So what’s there to worry, if my data is exposed ?
Technically, nothing. There is nothing you can do. In fact it will be used against you to advertise products to you. No matter it’s Facebook, Google, Twitter, any other social network. They are all in for the long haul. Anything provided to you for free, there is reason it is provided for free, since you are their Product. Your movement, your data is their product, and they might be selling something else to you in turn. So why worry.
Following are some of the links, which will show that Google is tracking you too.
- https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb (Your Google Maps timeline)
- https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity (Your Google Activity)
- https://www.youtube.com/feed/history/search_history (You tube History)
- https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout?pli=1 (Google Take out)
Below are some interesting tweets from this Facebook data exposure thread.
So in the end, why worry. Keep calm and let the facebook track you.
Still reading and thinking what the hell. This guy doesn’t have any thing to worry. Well, if you are so concerned about your privacy, there are two things you can do.
- Un-install Facebook app from your phone and start using facebook from your browser. Facebook from browser is quite lite on phone and it will be lighter, which will provide performance boost to your phone
- Keep using Facebook app and visit privacy control settings in app and check out the new options facebook is providing after this news.
As always, happy facebooking. In fact, this news will also be published over facebook.