This is one the debates which is very similar to which car is best. Should I buy this car or that car? or in other words, which type of girl should I marry. Should I be marrying a working women, or the one sitting at home? (I wish answering this question was as easy as buying phone).
Anyway, back to buying phone. Since the time, I bought an HTC Desire, many people were asking me as to which phone should they be buying. So I decided to write a blog post about what are the crucial factors one should consider on buying which phone.
Do apply the same technique on buying things which have multitude of brands / products, but not when marrying people, that is completely different arena we are talking about.
DECIDE ON YOUR REQUIREMENTS
Yes, you need to be absolutely clear about the requirements. What you need to do. Examples.
- I need a Camera with me all the time, so that I do not loose any moment to shoot an awesome image.
- Can’t compromise on Quality, you should be targetting anything not less than 5 – 8 Mega pixels.
- I need a phone, which will act as an Email client (probably Outlook functionality) on the go
- if emailing is of your highest importance, then you are better off with a BlackBerry. More on Black berries later. Not the ones you EAT.
- I need a phone, which could run games like (Angry birds, Need for Speed, Sniper Attack)
- I need a phone, which could make calls, video calls, use Skype
- so and so forth
Also, do keep in mind, that what is your idea of SMART Phone. Are you the person who
- likes to tinker a lot with your phone
- or the one who would be looking at your phone to do all the stuff. No need to add / edit / delete stuff
As of time of this blog post being written, there are different platforms which you should consider when buying phone. Each platform has it’s own pros and cons. Here is the quick run down
Nokia Smart Phones
- Nearly all Nokia smart phone have now access to NOKIA OVI Suite.
- Nearly all Nokia smart phones will sync with your Outlook on your PC.
- All all Nokia phones will import export your contacts to and fro in your mobile phones and PC
- OVI suite app is a bit limited in Applications, but it does hold quite a lot of applications for a limited business users
- Nokia phones are good in terms of re-selling a phone
Android SMART Phones, they being sold like hot cakes in market these days. The starking differences are as under
- Whenever an android phone is purchased, it has to be linked with a GMAIL / Google account.
- with that account, the phone will sync all the Emails / Contacts / SMS all the time, not just at the start of usage. All the time. So even if your latest brand new phone is lost, you do not have to worry a dime about loosing your contacts. All you need to do is to buy another android phone preferably a better one, sync it with same Google account, and within minutes, you will having all your previous contact
- An extensive App Market, where you could download OTA (Over the air) applications ranging from multitude of suites (Productivity, Games)
- Gone are the days, when you were keeping installers (on your PC) for Applications to install on your phone. Google provides online (OTA) installers. Meaning, you are logged in (using the same account which is linked to your phone) from your PC to Google App Market. You browse to the application, select install in the PC Browser. Magically, after a short while, your phone will start downloading the app you selected. Your phone will off course, needs to be connected to either the WIFI, or GPRS connection
- Importing and exporting Contacts is also very easy in Android. Even if you are coming from Nokia phone to Android phone, your exporting and importing contact process will be very easy and harmless.
- You can use Custom ROMS to be installed on your Andriod phones, which will at times, change your Andriod Versions, meaning you can upgrade / downgrade to different android Versions plus you can change the entire look of your phone. For trying out Custom ROMS, you need to ROOT your Android Phone.
- Andriod phones are becoming good in terms of re-selling points, since they are being marketed more and people are becoming aware of them.
Apple IPhones, in Pakistan, to have an Iphone, is like you need
- Unlock it to be able to use local cellular network. Once unlocked, you need to Jail Break it. Without Jail Breaking an Iphone, you can’t use the phone freely. The process of Jail Breaking is quite similar and easy for a Techie Person, but a bit daunting for a non – techie. So if you are buying an Iphone, make sure its Jail Broken or have a Geek friend ready to Jail Break it. One can use the iPhone without jail breaking it, but then the free apps will be quite limited. Once jail broken, you will have plethora of apps
- Once the Iphone is jail broken, you have the most awesome phone in your Hand. You will be happy with its utmost performance, but there is no warranty of this phone unlike other brands. However, with the iPhone in your hand, You can use it to
- Place phone calls
- send SMS
- use Facebook
- use Twitter
- use Google Plus
- use it’s very own fast browser (Safari)
- use emails
- Play games
- Download Apps from it’s App Store
- But on Iphone, your data is pretty much locked. You will be sharing data on your own IPHONE Web Space.
- With an Iphone, there is very less re-sale value. You would be buying an Iphone by 50K PKR, but when you will be selling the same phone, the price may come down to 35 – 40 K. So be very cautious about owning an Iphone if you worry about re-sale value.
Black berry are most popular for their push Emails and Instant Messaging. Their one of the best selling points is their corporate usage. So if you are user whose primary functions is to use phone for the basic purpose (other than Calling / SMS / Alarms) is to have constant touch on your Emails and you need to respond to your mails ASAP, you will be better off with a Black Berry. Black berries do offer what other mobile phones offer but their starling differences are in corporate Emails / Instant messages.
Whether you have decided to buy an Iphone or Nokia or an Android Phone, you need to keep the following things in mind
- For using an I phone in Pakistan, you need to unlock it (must) and then JAIL BREAK it.
- For using an Android Phone in Pakistan, it is NOT Necessary to ROOT it. (Rooting and Jail Breaking the phone is the same thing). Your Andriod phone will continue to work even though you do not root it, however, once you have rooted the android phone, your phone will have
- Increased Performance
- More features will be enabled
- Adverts will be removed
- Many optimum Applications will be enabled
- Moreover, you will have more control on your phone
- Nearly all phone will offer the following
- Capacitive / Resistive Touch Screens
- Ability to make phone calls (DUH)
- Ability to SMS (Oh DUH)
- Alarms, Stop Watch
- Emails (Be it connecting your office mails, or your GMAIL / YAHOO / Hotmail)
- Web Browsing
- WIFI / GPRS /
- Connecting to your PC and Transferring your Images / Videos / Mp3s to and from your Mobile / PC
- Sharing your PIC / VIDEOS over the web to your Facebook / Twitter accounts, without transferring them to your phone
Nearly all Websites these days provide the functionality to Compare and Contrast the (Two / three) phones of your choice in terms of Camera Mega pixels, Operating Systems, available Features, Pricing. Some of those sources are listed below. Alternatively you can check the some vendors websites too.
Have a nice time hunting for the phone.
- http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3 (Phone Finder)
- http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3 (Phone Comparer)
- What Mobile (here you can find Mobile prices in Pakistan (Rough Estimates)
- Tring Tring (A site for checking out OLD Cell Phones and selling your own phones). Quite nice site, if you are interested to buy second hand phones.
- http://www.htc.com/www/ – HTC
- http://www.google.com/nexus/ – Google NEXUS
- http://www.google.com/phone/ – All phone by Google
- http://www.nokia.com/global/wayfinder – Nokia
- http://www.apple.com/iphone/ – Apple Iphone
- http://us.blackberry.com/ – Black Berry Phones